Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day 1 Part 2: Unagi Power!

I have been studying the Japanese language for a little over a semester now. I have only truly memorized one of the alphabets and understand enough kanji to write a letter to a toddler, but I am proud of my achievements.

Leave it to Kinger to put me in my place.

Tonight I went out to sup on Japanese cuisine with my brother Sean, Brett Bauer, and the King. Despite my ability to understand a few symbols on the menu and manage to order something, I was shown that studying a language and culture within a school curriculum is severely hindering my world knowledge.

Kinger knew exactly what every menu item was, exactly what he wanted, and exactly why he didn't want anything else. He also outperformed me extraordinarily at eating with chopsticks. I was not doing so well, and he was having exactly none of that.

So now that I've been shown the light, how will I go about ascertaining scholarly excellence in the Japanese language and culture? Why, by studying intently the comedy of DC Benny and listening to my dear friend Tim King, of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment